Saturday, May 18, 2013

Message in a Bottle....Why I'm Blogging

I'm doing one of the things that I love best: writing....and writing about learning / teaching. I'm also doing my homework: I started bloggin as one of the requirements for a 6-week online seminar I'm taking about teaching online and hybrid courses. I hope to keep the blog going beyond the seminar, but we'll see. In the meantime, I'll use this space to think aloud about the experiences of being a student and being a teacher in an online course....which is to say that I'm blogging about being a learner.

I've done this kind of reflection before, and I'm glad to have a nudge to do it again. A few years ago, I decided to journal for 5 minutes a day each time that I worked on an article that I was writing. I journaled straight through from the start through submitting the piece to an editor, and it was a telling snapshot of challenges and rollercoaster of emotions that a writer can face.

I kept the journal because....

  • I wanted my students to read it--to get a sense that the challenges they faced as teacher-writers weren't unique. I wanted them to understand that their questions were the questions of good writers--and that they had what it would take to get through the challenges of their own writing. 
  • I wanted to model some things for my students: to give them a window into how I thought about and dealt with those challenges, as well as to show them what I would be looking for in their own journals about writing. 
  • I wanted to write to my future self. When students in my class were stumped, or frustrated, or surprised, or elated, I wanted to be there with them and understand their experience....and how I might be most helpful to them.

My hope is that by sharing some of my thinking here about learning/teaching, I'll help other learners (whether students or teachers) who are interested in the same kinds of experiences and questions that I'm working through. In a way, this blog will be a message in a bottle....and I expect that when I'm teaching online / hybrid courses of my own--or helping other professors through the online teaching adventure--that I'll come back to find these notes to help me anticipate and understand what they may be thinking, doing, feeling, and wondering.


1 comment:

  1. Leah, you said that you started this blog as a requirement for the course, but I love that you then gave your real reasons for blogging. I'm convinced that sharing your learning journey with others who are on it with you will help all of us learn. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete